Tuesday 25 November 2014

User Role Modeling..is this really required?


Any business requirement that needs to be formulated in user stories can be best justified if the writer knows the user roles for which the requirement will be mapped. To identify users, user role modeling is important. For example, if we want to develop a direct-sales website, we must keep our focus on buyers, sellers, admin, executives, etc. When the user roles have been identified, then the requirements can be mapped to user stories, keeping each identified user in view. More effectively, if we can associate a persona for each user, it helps broaden the thought process for that particular user, and it results in effective story writing. As the saying goes, "put yourself in someone else's shoes."
 
 Following is an example of a requirement and how to visualize it from different perspectives:
 
Requirement: To make a toy train for kids.
 
 What all are the user roles here?
  • Kids (obviously)
 
. . . and. . . ?
 
  • Parents
  • Toy manufacturer (yes, sometimes we need to consider the manufacture also)
  • Anyone else whom we can tie to this requirement (later users with the same requirements can be merged and one role can be chosen)
 Once the user roles have been identified, effective user stories can be written. Below I have provided role-specific sample user stories. These user role-specific stories not only help developers understand the requirements of the feature but also help QA identify the scope of testing.
 
Expectations related to different user roles:
 
  • ·         As a child, I want to see the toy train in attractive colors so that I crave it.
  • ·         As a child, I want to have fun using this toy with my friends so that I will enjoy it for a long time.
  • ·         As a parent, I want to be excited by the look of the toy so that I will purchase it for my child.
  • ·         As a child, I want to count the compartments of this train so that I can learn counting also.
  • ·         As a manufacturer, I want to provide my information on the toy box so that customers can contact me to buy other toys from me.
  • ·         As a parent, I want to be sure that the toy has no sharp edges that might hurt kids.
  • ·         As a parent, I want to verify that this toy is appropriate for kids two to three years old (my kid's age group) so that they are able to understand it and like it.
  • ·         As a parent, I want to buy a nontoxic, excellently made toy so that it will be safe for kids.
  • ·         As a parent, I want to learn about the manufacturer of the toy so that I can buy more toys from them.
 
 More expectations (or user stories) can be added here. Also, a few can be merged, or "conditions of satisfaction" can be added to one user story. For example, "nontoxic, excellent grade of plastic" and "no sharp edges" can be taken up as conditions of satisfaction.
 
 Now tell me which user has the highest set of expectations for the toy. Children?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment